Saturday, May 4, 2013

'Choona Machcha' (Tiny fish)

Something I have loved since childhood. Luckily for me, unlike my mom who had to spend a good of amount of time cleaning these tiny beauties, I get them pre-cleaned. Of course, they lack the freshness since these are frozen. Hey, at least I get them here now!

Maa makes a nice curry of these, these frozen ones don't hold up as well in curry (failed attempt! :)), so went with deep-frying this time round. Hope you like these as much as I did!

Ingredients

I pack Frozen Tiny Fish pack (bought from NJ Indian store - contained about 50 fishes - From Bangladesh)
Rice Flour - about 5 tbsp or more, depending on how crunchy and well-coated you want it
Salt -about 1 tsp, as per taste
Turmeric - 1 tbsp, to cut away the fishy smell
Red Chilli powder - 1/4 tsp, again as per taste
Cumin-Coriander Powder - 1/2 tsp

Method

Completely thaw the fish to room temperature.
Add all the ingredients and mix well.
Keep aside for 15-20 mins
Deep fry in high heat. It gets cooked in no time.

Enjoy with Rice/Dal as we did! It will be a good accompaniment in the Ofiya summer soul food 'Pakhala'.


3 comments:

The Gardener said...

Choona machha is my favourite.

We have not cooked it with rice-floor and shall now try it.

Poonkodi said...

Hey u found ur famous 'bangla' fish shop :)

Pragyan said...

They are my favorite too! :) Patua using choona machcha..oh, those are sinful!